New for 2016:
• Standard digital AM/FM radio with auxiliary port
• Optional GMC IntelliLink with navigation radio
• OnStar with 4G LTE and Wi-Fi hotspot
• Six standard air bags: frontal, side curtain and seat-mounted thorax (models under 10,000 pounds GVWR)
• Optional 220-amp generator
2016 GMC SAVANA CUTAWAY ENABLES EASY UPFITS FOR EVERY JOB
The GMC Savana Cutaway van is known for versatility, flexibility and durability, offering of its three available wheelbases, single or dual rear wheels and three engine choices – including the powerful Duramax 6.6L turbo-diesel.
For 2016, the Savana Cutaway features a single rear wheel 9,900-pound GVWR (4,490 kg) on 139- and 159-inch wheelbase chassis, and an optional 10,100-pound (4,581 kg) GVWR. Dual-rear-wheel models start at 10,050 pounds (4,559 kg) GVWR and extend to 12,300 pounds (5,591 kg) GVWR. They are available on 139-, 159- and 177-inch wheelbase chassis.
Also offered on the dual-rear-wheel are 4500 models that have a 14,200-pound (6,441 kg) GVWR, available with the 159- and 177-inch wheelbase chassis.
New for 2016 is OnStar 4G LTE connectivity, which includes a Wi-Fi hotspot. It provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected all the time. The hotspot allows passengers to connect up to seven personal devices such as smartphones, laptops and tablets to high-speed wireless Internet whenever the vehicle is on.
Also new is an available navigation radio with the GMC IntelliLink infotainment system. Additional highlights:
• 4.8L and 6.0L gas V-8s with six-speed automatic transmission
• Duramax 6.6L turbo-diesel V-8 with six-speed automatic transmission
• Four-wheel disc brakes with anti-lock
• Available locking rear differential (standard with YF2-code ambulance package)
• 110-volt outlet on the instrument panel
• Standard digital AM/FM radio with auxiliary port
• Available 220-amp generator.
Special-equipment packages also are available for ambulance, RV, shuttle bus and school bus construction.
Savana exterior features:
• A chrome appearance package including a chrome front bumper and a chrome grille with dual composite headlamps is available. Black-painted bumper is standard
• Heavy-duty light-emitting diode flashers are standard
• Heated and power-adjustable outside folding mirrors are available on 3500 models
• Wide-stance sail-panel-mounted outside mirrors are available
• Sixteen-inch steel wheels are standard
• Exterior colors: Quicksilver Metallic, Cyber Gray Metallic, Deep Blue Metallic, Onyx Black, Emerald Green Metallic, Summit White, Cardinal Red, Wheatland Yellow, and Bronze Alloy Metallic.
Savana interior features:
• Air conditioning is standard (air conditioning delete is available)
• Cruise control, power windows and power locks are available
• A standard digital radio including AM/FM/MP3 capability
• A range of optional audio systems, including, USB port, CD and navigation is available on all models. An audio system provision package is available
• SiriusXM Satellite Radio is available
• Driver information center is standard on all models
• Brake warning indicator is available
• Two auxiliary 12-volt power outlets located on the dash are standard
• 110-volt outlet standard on dash
• Side cut keys
• Leather-wrapped steering wheel is available
• Remote keyless entry is available
• Remote vehicle starter system is available.
Savana powertrains: 6.6L Duramax diesel
The powerful Duramax turbo-diesel V-8 is offered in Savana Cutaway, delivering best-in-class torque and horsepower. Known by its “LGH” engine code, it is rated at 260 horsepower (194 kW) and 525 lb-ft of torque (711 Nm).
The LGH Duramax employs a robust EGR cooling system, along with revised turbocharger tuning that helps enhance EGR performance. It also has a large-capacity selective catalytic reduction system. In fact, the engine features the latest in emission control technology, making it the cleanest Duramax engine ever produced. NOx emissions are controlled via a Selective Catalyst Reduction aftertreatment system that uses urea-based Diesel (Emission) Exhaust Fluid (DEF). The DEF is housed in a 5.83-gallon (20 L) tank and needs to be replenished about every 5,000 miles (8,000 km). Electrically heated lines feed the DEF to the emission system to ensure adequate delivery in cold weather.
The Duramax also includes GM’s second-generation diesel particulate filter system. Unlike most competitors’ systems, the Duramax regenerates its diesel particulate filter using a downstream injection of diesel fuel directly into the exhaust stream and can travel up to 700 miles (1,125 km) between regenerations – a 300-mile (482 km) increase over the previous Duramax engine. The use of downstream injection also helps improve engine life by eliminating concerns about the possibility of diesel fuel contaminating engine oil, which can happen when fuel used for regeneration is introduced directly into the cylinder.
Savana Cutaway also provides outstanding cold-weather performance, thanks to the Duramax’s microprocessor-controlled glow plugs, which are capable of a gas engine-like start performance in less than three seconds in temperatures as low as -20 degrees F (-29 o C), without a block heater. The engine has been developed to operate for at least 200,000 miles (322,000 km) on a rough-duty cycle without the need for a major overhaul. It is also backed with a five-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty.
(Certain commercial and government fleet customers receive the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain limited warranty.)
A fuel-operated heater is available for vans equipped with the Duramax 6.6L to quickly provide heat to the vehicle interior in cold weather. This seamlessly integrated system is designed into the Savana chassis, saving customers the time and labor of upfitting an aftermarket system. The electronically controlled, fuel-operated heater operates automatically, turning on and off within parameters that include outside air temperature, fuel level, coolant temperature and engine use. It features a self-contained, pressurized auxiliary coolant heater (with a surge tank) that uses diesel fuel to generate up to 17,200 Btu/h (5 kW) of heating energy.
The Duramax engine is backed by GM’s Hydra-Matic 6L90 heavy-duty six-speed automatic transmission featuring Tow/Haul mode.
A 4.8L V-8 is standard on 3500 models and generates 285 horsepower (212 kW) and 295 lb-ft of torque (398 Nm), while a 6.0L V-8, available in a flex fuel configuration, is standard on 4500 models and available on other models. It is rated at 342 horsepower (255 kW) and 373 lb-ft of torque (506 Nm).
Each is part of GM’s legendary small-block engine family and designed for quiet operation, including:
• Special friction-reducing polymer coating on piston skirts
• Full-floating piston pins
• Damping patch on the oil pan (externally mounted)
• Timing chain tensioner
• Quieter alternator.
Backing the engines’ quietness is the assurance of long-lasting performance. The engine family was validated under extreme conditions, with the 6.0L engine dynamometer-tested to the equivalent of 200,000 miles – 50,000 miles more than other engines in the family. The engines also feature many long-life engine components that can reduce maintenance intervals and costs. The iridium-tip spark plugs, engine coolant, accessory drive belt and sealing gaskets are some of these items.
Some of the stringent durability testing included cycling engines between the peak torque and peak horsepower rpm points – the equivalent of towing a heavy trailer up a steep grade – for 600 straight hours.
The engines are mated to the Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed automatic transmission.
Additional powertrain special features include:
• Dual 145-amp alternators are on Duramax-equipped models
• diesel engine
• 220-amp alternators are available
• 600-CCA battery is standard with 6.0L engine; 770-CCA battery is available
• Dual heavy-duty 770-CCA batteries are standard with Duramax-equipped models
• Fuel-operated auxiliary heat generator is available with Duramax-equipped models
• Cold-climate package with engine block heater is available on all models
• High-idle switch for greater accessory performance at a job site is available on all models
• Oil life monitor is standard on all models
• Transmission cooler is standard on all models.
Chassis and suspension
Cutaway models are built on a strong, ladder-type full frame architecture. Varying frame sections support the 139-inch, 159-inch and 177-inch wheelbases. Soft-mount body-mount “donuts” and bolts, which attach upfit bodies to the chassis, are available on all models.
All Cutaway models feature an independent short-long arm (SLA) front suspension, power steering and four-wheel disc brakes with four-wheel anti-lock. At the rear is a hypoid drive axle and multi-leaf springs.
Additional chassis and suspension features include:
• A locking rear differential is available on all models
• Axle ratios include: 3.42, 3.54, 3.73 and 4.10.
Savana safety and crash-avoidance features
Savana is equipped with a host of safety features, including six standard air bags: frontal, head and side curtain, and thoracic air bags, which provide a higher level of protection in the event of a side impact or a vehicle rollover.